The holiday season burns bright between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We spend time with family and friends, shopping, going to parties, and of course decorating.
Did you know? According to the National Fire Protection Agency, fire departments respond to an average of 200 structure fires caused by Christmas trees each year.
Whether you spend hours finding the perfect tree, getting lights and ornaments placed just right-or spend 5 minutes to plug in your tree and call it a day, follow these tips to help keep this holiday a safe one!
1. Have a real tree? Water it! Dry trees are a serious fire hazard.
2. Have an artificial tree? Check to see that is labeled “fire resistant”.
3. Always inspect electrical decorations for loose or bare wires, cracked or damaged sockets and loose connections.
4. Use battery operated candles. According to the National Fire Protection agency, candles start half of all home decoration fires.
5. Extinguish, unplug, and turn off all decorations before going to bed or leaving the house.
6. Don’t overload outlets.
7. Place your tree at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces and radiators.
You can visit the US Fire Administrations Website for more safety tips and resources on Fire Safety this holiday season.
Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season!
-Your fiends at MW Fire & Water